I've never been a fan of boiled Brussels sprouts but I sure do love them roasted. Roasting brings out the natural sweet and nutty flavors. Adding the pancetta granola topping just tips the flavor scale plus lends a delicious crunch. If vegetables could be a dessert this dish would be it.
Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta Granola Crumble
4 oz diced pancetta
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 T plus 1/2 tsp olive oil
3 T maple syrup
2 shallots roughly chopped
1 sprig rosemary, finely diced
1/3 cup Bird's Nest Sonoran Blend Granola
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1) Remove any yellow outer leaves of Brussels sprouts and cut off brown ends. Rinse well, pat dry and slice in half lengthwise.
2) In large oven proof skillet cook pancetta over medium heat until almost crisp stirring frequently (about 5 minutes). Remove with slotted spoon, drain on paper towel and set aside.
3) Add 3 T olive oil then Brussels sprouts to remaining pancetta drippings in skillet. Saute for 15 minutes, turning sprouts occasionally to brown evenly.
4) Add maple syrup, salt and pepper to sprouts and stir to coat.
5) Transfer skillet to preheated 375 degree oven and roast for 20-25 minutes until tender on inside and crisp outside.
6) While sprouts are in the oven, prepare the crumble. Heat remaining
1/2 tsp olive oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, granola, rosemary and cooked pancetta along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
7) Evenly distribute crumble mixture on top of sprouts the last 5 minutes of roasting time.